Saturday 28 February 2015

Monthly Makes | Knitted pouf, Crocheted bralet & handmade Bridesmaids dresses


 

It has been a while since I have written a 'Monthly Makes' post, so I thought I would roll all the things I have been working on lately into one post! 
Its been a busy few months, but the main project I have been focusing on were three bridesmaids dresses for a friends wedding this month. 

 


I followed a classic pattern that had a beautiful circle skirt, with boned bodice and lace over lay. I worked on the dresses after work during the week and some weekends, having started the project in October I just finished them a week before the wedding at the beginning of Feb. The fabric I used was a beautiful pale ice blue sateen complimented with delicate white lace.


As this was my first time making bridesmaids dresses there were a few hiccups and learning curves along the way but overall I am really pleased with them. These pictures were about half way through one of the dresses, I just added a silk tape to the edges of the lace and any adjustments to make sure they fitted the girls perfectly.



The girls, Sophie, Emily & Helen looked gorgeous on the day and I was really happy with the outcome, it definitely made all the hard work worth it seeing them look beautiful at the wedding. I'd like to wish Sara, the beautiful bride all the happiness in the future.

Here are some other projects I have been working on over the last few months in my spare time. 

Knitted Pouf
This pouf is my first 'home inspo' project. I always make fashion items or garments but I was inspired lately to make a comfy foot pouf for my room. 


I used a pattern from StyleCraft available here and some 10mm round needles.
This was the first time I have knitted using round needles but found it so much easier especially for a large chunky project like this.
I used an amazing 10 balls of beautifully soft and thick speckled wool which is available from Deramores here. This is a great website if you want to buy knitting materials, they have a wide range of yarns and often have offers on. At the moment if you sign up to their newsletter you can get 15% off an order.



Crocheted Bralet
I have been shaking off the winter cold and dreaming of spring lately by crocheting this festival inspired cotton bralet. It was a really simple and fun project I started one night after work after watching a DIY bralet YouTube video. I adapted the technique used to make it my own but there are still a few things I would change.


I loved my last crocheted bralet so much I have started another one. I am halfway through this one already. I bought some more soft cotton yarn from Deramores and used a 4.5 hook. The bralet is made using threble stitches for the body and double stitches on the boobs and strapes. I am going to add some scallops to the base similar to last bralet by stitiching 5 trebles into one hole each time.



I think I have fallen back in love with crocheting, I find it a lot more flexible and creative than knitting as you can 'build' up different areas and come back to them later. It's great for making up patterns and shapes freehand. I hope it turns out even better than the last. Follow my Instagram page (Madeupstyle) for updates and to see the finished out come soon.

Vintage Liberty Knickers
A couple of nights ago I relaxed after a stressful day by sewing some cute knickers using  scraps of printed Liberty Fabrics I found in my fabric box. 




I used the pattern from My Makery Kit I posted about a few months back, making a few adjustments to suit my materials and sizing. I also added in a contrasting fabric for the gusset and think it looks amazing! I love the idea of recycling spare bits of vintage fabrics and these panties are a great way use them.
Here's a sneak peek at some more fabrics I want to use for my next pair!



Do you have any tips for places to buy fabrics, similar to these gorgeous prints online? I would love to hear your comments and projects you are working on at the moment.

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to follow my blog and style inspirations on Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin' & Pinterest.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig