Thursday 17 November 2016

DIY | Embroidered Bomber Jacket Tutorial


 Anyone else loving the embroidered trend? 
Whether it's jackets, shoes or bodies, this oriental detailing is everywhere. Good news is it's so easy to make your own unique version of the popular high street ones for a fraction of the cost. 
Here's how I made my own embroidered bomber jacket.


  
Jacket, George £14
Patches, Etsy £6.40

 I picked up this plain black bomber jacket from George a few weeks back and I bought a pack of large floral embroidered patches from Etsy.  
The patches took a while to come as they were from China but I was really happy with the quality and size once they arrived. I used a needle and thread to stitch my patches on as they didn't come with an added adhesive on the back to iron on. If you want to use heat adhesive patches instead check out my tutorial for iron on patches here.



To start I positioned my patches and pinned them in place once I was happy with the layout. I like the style of jackets with embroidery on the front panels but why not try one large one on the back, or both?!

 I threaded a thin embroidery needle with some white thread. I would suggest using thread that matches the majority of your patch best, this way it will bend in more. 
I then placed my hand on the inside of the jacket and sewed from the back to the front, ensuring my needle was close to the edge of my embroidery. I worked my way around each flower using small stitches on the top and longer floats at the back, in and out, also know as running stitch or straight stitch. On the darker stem parts I used smaller stitches on the surface so the white thread didn't show up as much. It took me around an hour or so to complete both patches on my jacket, after which I tied off the ends and gave my jacket a little iron to smooth out any wrinkles.















If you are new to hand sewing this is a nice project to ease yourself in with, as a busy patch will hide any small errors and there are lots of shapes and corners to practice with. 
A really simple but effective DIY. 
I love that within an hour you can create something really unique and fashionable using a simple traditional skill. Why not give it a go with different patches such as numbers or logos. I might have to try applying the extra patch that was left on a mesh body suit for an instant update to wear with jeans on a night out.


Leave me lovely comments below, I love to hear your thoughts.
Anna 
x


If you liked this, check out:

DIY Circle Choker Necklace Tutorial  
DIY Off the Shoulder Shirt Tutorial





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig